Enlarged Pores – causes and treatments
1st February 2022
We want perfect skin, just like the models in magazines or the stars on the big screens. But the reality is that about 85% of us experience at least one acne episode in our lifetime, especially between the ages of 14-24. So, life is not always like it is in magazines and movies, as many women experience skin imperfections. One of the problems that prevent many people from having a clean and flawless complexion is enlarged pores.
What causes enlarged pores?
Enlarged pores are unsightly and can cause other skin problems such as blackheads, excess sebum or even acne. Let’s see what causes enlarged pores:
- Skin type – usually, people with oily skin often have enlarged pores due to excess sebum. This makes the skin feel oily to the touch and has a shiny appearance, especially in the T-zone, i.e. nose, forehead and chin;
- Hygiene mistakes – using products that stimulate sebum production inevitably leads to enlarged pores, as does over-cleansing or using exfoliating products more often than recommended;
- Hormonal changes during puberty or menopause;
- Excessive make-up, which can clog pores and hinder the removal of sebum;
- Sauna – at high temperatures, pores start to open up, which is why it is recommended to avoid exposure to this factor, especially if your skin is prone to these problems;
- Prolonged exposure to ultraviolet light can lead to premature ageing of the skin, which causes sagging skin and enlarged pores;
- Genetic inheritance – we can inherit from our parents both a tendency towards greying and a tendency to have open pores;
- Loss of skin elasticity – as we age, the body begins to secrete less collagen, an essential protein for firm, toned skin without enlarged pores.
What can you do to reduce enlarged pores?
Fortunately, there are both professional and simple methods and treatments that can be applied to reduce enlarged pores and restore healthy-looking skin. Conscientious cleansing twice a day, morning and evening is a solution for enlarged pores. Cleansing also cleanses excess sebum and dead skin cells. The complexion must be cleansed even if we have not worn make-up that day. Exfoliating your skin once or twice a week and using the right cosmetics for your skin type are other healthy routines for a clear skin.
As for the professional treatments that can control this problem, they are multiple combinations of these treatments can be made. The treatment scheme must be established by the dermatologist after a consultation.
The chemical peel contributes greatly to shrinking pores by exfoliating the skin, deep cleansing, stimulating collagen and elastin synthesis. Microneedling is another wonderful method for achieving a smooth complexion, due to exfoliation, increasing the amount of collagen in the skin, but also through the penetration of mesotherapy substances. Schedule an appointment at Deluxe Clinic and leave yourself in the hands of our specialists! They will establish the best treatment scheme depending on the problems you have. You will leave our clinic much more relaxed and with considerably diminished pores.